Watch Phobos, an Alien: Covenant story!

Watch Phobos, an Alien: Covenant story!

Twentieth Century Fox will be promoting the forthcoming home release of Ridley Scott's prequel sequel Alien: Covenant on Digital HD, DVD, and Blu-Ray at this weekend's San Diego Comic Con. To mark the August 1st release a new teaser has been released called "Phobos" which shows members of the crew of the USCSS Covenant being subjected to a psychological "fear" test, presumably (considering the name of the video) at a Weyland-Yutani facility on Mars' moon Phobos. The trailer also mentions that fans can participate in their own "custom fear certification test" at the movies booth at the SDCC.

"The Crossing", "The Last Supper", "Meet Walter", the various "Crew Messages", the "In Utero" VR Experience, and this latest video together highlight one of the better marketing campaigns used in Hollywood recently, which has no doubt attracted audiences to watch Alien: Covenant in theaters despite an overwhelmingly polarizing critical opinion of the movie from movie critics and fans alike. It seems opinion of the franchise's future is just as divisive with calls from frustrated fans for Scott to either step down or finish his series of prequels, or for Blomkamp's sequel to be reconsidered, with a growing minority of fans are even suggesting the entire series be rebooted, even though Alien: Covenant is the second most commercially successful movie of the series behind its predecessor Prometheus, having thus far earned $232.3 million at the box office.

12 Fan responses to Watch Phobos, an Alien: Covenant story!

Drake

Jul-22-2017 12:50 PM

None of us cared about any of the characters in Alien Covenant.  If this is supposed to reveal more details about them, then it should have been shared before we saw the film.  At this point, I could care less about anything AC related that does not add or elaborate on the connection between the Engineers and the Xenos, or in some way delves into the plot.

Creating any content around all of the dead-before-we-even-got-started crew is just pointless.

AdamPD

Jul-22-2017 1:03 PM

I agree, Drake.

The only thing i cared about was finding out if Shaw/David made it to the planet, what their homeworld looked like and if Shaw got her answers

Instead we just got a rehashed mini monster mash with a 3 minute video which had the engineerish race being bombed with a virus.

Complete disappointment.

ripley05

Jul-22-2017 1:55 PM

Just heard fox is reassessing the franchise. I'm personally dying to see the next one. David vs the engineers must be released!

ALIEN1979

Jul-22-2017 4:36 PM

Fully agree to drake and adampd.

The film was in the cinemas and it was not a satisfying movie.

The only thing Fox and Ridley could do for the better is to do a proper director's cut for the blu ray / dvd release. Getting us deleted scenes not connected into the movie is pointless.

Capt Torgo

Jul-22-2017 9:07 PM

The 43 million from China only counts at 25% so yeah this film is a flop if the marketing budget was over 40 million , idk. Glad the writer of this mentioned the films issues. The marketing technique is great and I love the angles they are shooting for but the characters and story are so so bad, this fear test just seems a knife in the back. I don't care who directs just not Ridley. Covenant = triggered

Galaxy Dave

Jul-25-2017 6:17 PM

Can't agree more.  This is totally moot and a boot in the face.

Ridley should step down and let David Lynch direct.  It's risky, but I'd be willing to bet on other talents at this point.  Ridley sloshing his words in interviews makes me think he needs to retire.  No one wants to see movies repeat themselves over and over with uninteresting stories!  Or do they?!

Blompcamp is going to suck majorly!  District 9 is the only big film he's done that was excellent.  The rest is utter junk and I haven't seen him redeem himself yet.  That's my take and I'm sticking to it.

LET US MOVE ON TO MORE WEIRD, CRAZY AND TERRIFYING YARNS IN THE ALIEN UNIVERSE PLEASE!!

I know I'm screaming to a deaf ear at Fox, but I can't help being so disappointed at a the Alien franchise for failing in so many respects.  I'm just very sad.

Thoughts_Dreams

Jul-27-2017 10:49 AM

It doesn't matter if they make this one if the home release of AC will be as disappointing as the one that was showed in the movie theaters. They should think before they do the movie, not after when it is too late, new short promo clips will not change how the movie turned out.

MU/TH/UR 9000

Jul-28-2017 3:44 AM

Wow, Alien: Covenant is getting so much hate here but in other places it's thriving. I can't wait for the book, it will feature Hideo Yutani and give us a glimpse into the inner workings of Weyland Yutani after the disappearance of Sir Peter Weyland and Meredith Vickers.

Lilly (Svanya)

Jul-28-2017 8:33 AM

Say what you want about the movie, these viral marketing videos are perfection.

sosse

Jul-30-2017 3:48 AM

as for not liking the characters, speak for yourself.  I was intruiged by Rosenthal and Ankor and wouldn't mind having seen more of them

Seph7

Aug-05-2017 1:08 PM

I don't get the hate either. I honestly don't know what people were expecting. I liked it, and the characters, and I was glad that Tennessee survived along with Daniels and potentially Walter...

Seph7