Covenant - nods at all of the Alien films so far2,703 Views3 RepliesAdd A Reply
Hi all, first post. I was slightly underwhelmed with Alien:Covenant and disappointed that the Engineers seem to have been done away with in one swift drop of a bomb (or two!). Anyway, whilst watcing I noticed that the film nods/pays homage to almost all of the other Alien films and a few others besides:
1. The running around the corridors of the Covenant ala 'Alien'.
2. The closing of hatches onboard the Covenant and with the Alien running around inside the corridors ala 'Alien3'.
3. The drop ship sequence ala 'Aliens'.
4. Dropship pilot called 'Ferris', pilot called Faro in 'Aliens' (and both female and both awful flying weather).
5. David's laboratory, the early flying bug like aliens that David created and images of a mutilated Shaw reminiscent of 'Alien Resurrection' and the Ripley clones.
6. The scenes in-country and the neomorph attacks reminded me and my friend of the Jurrasic Park films; had the same vibe.
7. The deliberate use of the Roy Batty line from 'Blade Runner' 'that's the spirit' when David is fighing Daniels.
8. Using musical excerpts from Alien, Aliens and Prometheus.
9. The Engineer's citadel/Forum or whatever its supposed to be seems a nod at 'Alien v Predator'.
10. David putting Daniels to sleep in the cryotube is like a twisted homage of the ending of 'Aliens'. But instead of it being the hero (Ripley) it is the anti-hero instead.
11. Chains and cargo bay reminscent of 'Alien'.
12. The neomorph aliens emit a sound more Predator-ish than Alien.
I'm not saying any of this is bad but it really stood out, like a deliberate intention. Could this be Ridley's way of saying this is last film directly involved with the Alien franchise? That he's acknowledging what he's been involved with and what its spawned over the past 40 years?
It's definitely got some Alien DNA *Rimshot*
What I love about these prequels is that they're different and yet so similar to the Original.
I like how Ridley slowly teases and unfolds the connection to the First Alien.
Definitely a lot of nods.. sometimes a bit to much though.
R.I.P Sox 01/01/2006 - 11/10/2017
@big Dave. Yes I know what you mean. Were you hoping, like me, that the film would follow the Shaw/David/Engineers narrative rather than a more typical Xeno-fest?