"The Void" is a minor SciFi/Lovecraftian/"The Thing" derived movie...2,247 Views10 RepliesAdd A Reply
That some might enjoy prior to A:C. It's a "thinker" but it's also got lots of good effects and makeup/creature stuff. And a little homage to "Hellraiser" and "alien" thrown in to boot.
Seen some trailers, and I am curious about it :)
IN SPACE THERE IS NO WARNING
Pretty fun romp, if you enjoyed "The Thing" (which of us didn't!?).
Noticed this a while back when someone posted it on here, i will have to check it out.
Very much like The Thing i agree, and indeed The Thing is a amazing movie and one i can watch over and over like Prometheus and funny enough Both Movies did not go down to well with Critics after Release.
So maybe Prometheus could be a bit of a Cult Following Movie down the road.
R.I.P Sox 01/01/2006 - 11/10/2017
@BigDave I think you're so right about "Prometheus" having a cult following...it probably already does, but with time it'll be even more so.
Loved The Thing!!! The original anyway, not that one that was out recently. HP Lovecraft is great also. I'll have to check this movie out. Where can we find it?
I found it on Amazon.com streaming. Not sure where else it might be.
Yes, Big Dave and Starlogger! I believe Prometheus does have a cult following already (I know more people who like it than those who like Blade Runner, which of course is well-known as a cult classic).
That being said, I'll have to see The Void sometime. Sounds interesting.
The Void was pretty good....the shocking horrors and crazy stuff out of nowhere are terrifying and the practical effects and body horror stuff was outstanding, havent seen anything like that in years. The tone is pretty great, my only gripe is that some of the stuff is more speculative and vague where a little polish and explanation could have really pushed this into a much higher grade.
I like movies that leave a little open to the audiences imagination, like Alien did....or even the The Thing to some degree...but during both those movies certain understandings were shown or expressed to kind of give a rough understanding of certain things.
I know and understand that the doctor was connecting with another dimension from where you could be reborn again. I understand this dimension was making some of our protagonists have visions trying to drive them mad or commit murders. It appears the ones that do such as the nurse early on who killed the patient by stabbing him in the eye was allowed to be reborn as some monstrosity after she died(was shot).
So in my opinion the following are in place in The Void
* The Sheriff and the Nurse were married but lost a child which drove them apart
* The doctor lost a child and connected or made a pact with some alternate evil dimension that would allow her to live again, even if it was in another form
* This dimension has other followers, and worshipers hence the people in the white robes
* The doctor or people who worship this dimension clearly have been performing ceremonies or doing things to connect or honor this dimension at other locations, the drugged out guy states this in the movie
* The father and son who show up at the beginning and then once the **** hits the fan at the hospital have been through this type of scenario before, they say so with their dialog a couple times...stating things like this "do you want to go through this again?"
* I feel the dimension causes people to have vision in hopes of causing them to kill or perform heinous acts
* if they are driven mad and do these acts for the dimension then once they die they are reborn as some type of monstrosity (this rule applies to the nurse at the beginning)
Here is a video that breaks down the film and gives some insight into it in a nice way IMO
I wish the movie would have explained what really happened to the sheriffs wife, as we see her at the end in the VOID after she has been all tentacled out and then the sheriff appeared to save her by cutting off her head
I also wish THE VOID or how it does what it does would have been fleshed out (pun intended) a little better, while still leaving some things open for interpretation ...the movie would have been served well by just a little exposition done in a clever way or some revealing backstory telling just to help the audience a little
Overall a creepy movie, done very well both imaginative and effect and tone were amazing. I cant wait to see what these guys do next, i predict good things from this movie directing duo.
@Starlogger - thanks, I have Amazon, I'll check it out
@G&DL Good stuff, man. Thanks! It certainly is a sophisiticated movie. Hard to believe I had never heard of it. A LOT of great work went into it.