Like Star Wars and Star Trek before it, Alien is being given its own day on the calendar! April 26th, aka 4/26 will officially be known as Alien Day. The date is a reference to LV-426, the desolate planet where the franchise began back in 1979. To kick off the commemorative date, Fox as well as a number of licensing partners are going to be offering up some sweet Alien-inspired products and hosting some Alien-related events! Read on below for an official press release, which contains detailed information on what April 26th will have in store!
Los Angeles, CA (March 29, 2016) – Twentieth Century Fox Consumer Products announced today an out-of-this-world global celebration of the ALIEN franchise culminating with a special 24 hour, fan-focused social media event on April 26th – a nod to LV-426, the planet from the iconic ALIEN films. ALIEN DAY(#AlienDay426) to encompass a wide range of executions including nationwide screenings, never-before-seen consumer product activations and the kickoff of theALIEN: Ultimate Trivia Challenge, allowing fans to test their ALIEN knowledge – with the chance to win memorable prizes every 42.6 minutes on Twitter.
Fox Consumer Products has teamed with an impressive portfolio of licensing partners; showcasing everything from unique apparel to exclusive comic books to high-end collectables. One of the most-requested licensed products, the Reebok Alien Stomper worn by Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley, as well as the mid tops worn by Lance Henrikson as the Android Bishop, are being released by Reebok in limited edition to mark ALIEN DAY. The iconic movie sneakers will be available beginning April 26th at Reebok.com and select Reebok stores worldwide. Other ALIEN products include the following:
- NECA announces the first ever Lieutenant Vasquez (Jenette Goldstein) and Newt (Carrie Henn) figure; as well as the release of a Kenner toy-Inspired Ellen Ripley figure
- An ALIENS Queen & Power Loader and Ripley figure set in the tradition of their wildly popular ReAction retro action figure series from Funko LLC
- Dark Horse Comics expounds upon Brian Wood and Tristan Jones’ ongoing ALIENS comic book series with exclusive covers for participating retailers and a deluxe 30thanniversary hardcover version of the original ALIENS series from 1986
- Titan Books launches the brand-new novel Alien: Invasion (The Rage War book 2) by Tim Lebbon
- Available on Audible; a brand new audio drama,Alien: Out of the Shadows – starring Rutger Hauer (Blade Runner and Batman Begins) in his first audio role, Matthew Lewis (Harry Potter film series) and Corey Johnson (The Bourne Ultimatum) is a terrifying fight for survival and an intense struggle between human and artificial intelligence.
- Additional licensed partners are found below
In addition, the Alamo Drafthouse is producing a nationwide screening program on April 26th returning the ALIEN franchise to theaters across the country. In over 20 cities, including Austin, New York, Los Angeles and Dallas, participating Alamo locations as well as partner venues will showcase a double-feature presentation of ALIEN and ALIENS. In Alamo locations, each pre-ordered ticket includes a Mondo-designed ALIEN T-shirt, released exclusively for the event screenings. Additionally, the screenings will be accompanied by exclusive ALIEN merchandise—including apparel, accessories, posters and records—from pop-culture company Mondo. Tickets go on sale tomorrow, to find a full list of participating theaters, visit http://AlamoAliens.com.
ALIEN: Ultimate Trivia Challenge
The hallmark of ALIEN DAY will be a 24-hour Twitter contest. Every 42.6 minutes a new ALIEN trivia question will be presented via the official Alien Anthology twitter account,@AlienAnthology. In advance of the contest kickoff, beginning at 12 AM ET on April 26th, fans will need to pre-register their Twitter handle at ALIEN Anthology (http://AlienAnthology.com).
Each trivia question (35 in a 24-hour cycle) will have various prize packages from 20th Century Fox’s ALIEN franchise licensing partners. To qualify to win the corresponding prize, participants must “Reply” to the initial “question tweet,” correctly answer the question, and use the #AlienDay426 and #Contest hashtags. A winner (or “winners” when multiple prizes are offered) will be selected for each of the questions. Please refer to “Official Rules” for additional detail.
In regards to the announcement, Jeffrey Godsick, President of Twentieth Century Fox Consumer Products stated: “The ALIEN franchise holds a special place not only within the universe of Fox but with movie enthusiasts across the galaxy.” Godsick added, “We noticed that fans of the ALIEN films were starting to rally around the calendar date of April 26th — given the connection to the planet LV-426. Quite simply, it gave us the idea to do something special on this day; to officially mark the occasion alongside fans and to build excitement online, in stores and once again, in theaters.”
The ALIEN film series starring Sigourney Weaver (Ellen Ripley) and directed by legendary auteurs Ridley Scott, James Cameron, David Fincher and Jean-Pierre Jeunet, is one of the most enduring horror sci-fi action franchises of all time. Winning multiple Academy Awards®, these incredible films have spawned countless consumer product lines and launches — from apparel to video games to comic books and more.
The highly-anticipated ALIEN: COVENANT, directed by Ridley Scott and starring Michael Fassbender, will be released in August 2017 by Twentieth Century Fox.
Additional global ALIEN DAY partners include:
- ALIEN DIGITAL PINBALL– Fox Digital Entertainment, in partnership with Zen Studios, will launch three digital pinball tables via iTunes, Google Play, PlayStation Network, XBOX Live and Steam.
- DC ENTERTAINMENT – Together with Dark Horse Comics, DC Entertainment will re-release the fan-favorite Batman VS ALIEN comics for the first time in over a decade
- FRIGHT RAGS – Horror apparel retailer Fright Rags will release limited edition ALIEN-themed apparel
- THE UPPER DECK COMPANY – The leading trading card company will launch ALIENS Anthology Collector Trading Card and the ALIENS “Vs” Trading Card Game system
- HOT TOYS – The Hong Kong-based collectible manufacturer is announcing an all-new ALIEN Ripley 1/6th figure
- KOTOBUKIYA – The Japanese manufacturer unleashes an assortment of highly detailed collectables this spring including a 1:10 scale Warrior Drone ARTFX+ statue from ALIENS and mini “Big Chap” figurines posed to strike up conversation around your home or office!
- INSIGHT EDITIONS – The illustrated pop culture book publisher will release the trade edition of the Weyland-Yutani Report
- An all-new ALIEN Internecivus Raptus Statuefrom Sideshow Collectibles
- SUPER 7 – The San Francisco based designer toy and apparel company has developed several toys in honor of the ALIEN DAY: ALIEN Muscle figures on card; ALIEN ReAction carrying case with exclusive ALIEN figure; Nostromo playset Kit Bash kit; Japanese vinyl Queen and ALIENS Glassware
- LOOT CRATE – The monthly mystery subscription box for pop culture fans will launch a limited-edition ALIENS 30th Anniversary crate on 4/26 filled with exclusive merchandise, collectibles and more from all core licensee partners.
- MEDICOM TOY – Japan-based toy company MEDICOM TOY will release VCD (vinyl super deformed) ALIEN figure and retro style ALIEN figure via Diamond Comics
- USAopoly – Launches a pair of classic board games with a thrilling twist: YAHTZEE® ALIEN VS PREDATOR™ and CLUE®: ALIEN VS PREDATOR™
- HOLLYWOOD COLLECTIBLES to release a large-scale model of the Derelict from Alien, molded from an original model that H.R. Giger created for an exhibition in Las Vegas.
Thanks toAvPGalaxy for the heads up!
If you're a fan of Alien / Prometheus and would like to discuss Alien: Covenant and its upcoming sequel with other like-minded fans, be sure to join in our Alien: Covenant forum! Ranked the #1 Prometheus forum back in 2012 and reigning as the web's top Alien: Covenant fan site, it's a great place to discuss the upcoming Prometheus sequels, dissect details from every trailer and engage with other fans just like you.
About Alien: Covenant 2 / Alien Awakening
The state of the Alien: Covenant sequel continues to remain uncertain. Ridley Scott has mentioned previously that they have a story already in place and know exactly where the sequel to Covenant will go, however the recent acquisition of 20th Century Fox film properties by Disney have potentially put the rumored-to-be-titled Alien: Awakening on hold for the time being. As new details arise concerning Alien: Covenant 2 we will be your premiere source and you can find information on the Covenant sequel by visiting the About Alien: Awakening page here.
Treat yourself to some Alien Merchandise!
As we await the next Alien movie, now is a great time to build your Alien collection and expand your Alien-themed wardrobe. Check out some products below and click here for even more options!
Stay up to date with the latest news and updates on the Alien: Covenant movie sequel, potentially titled Alien: Awakening by liking us on Facebook and by following us on Twitter and Instagram! You can also subscribe your email to our blog for instant notifications of when new posts are made!