Why was the AC a good movie?
Posted Jun-16-2017 10:37 PM
There's a lot of mistakes, plot holes etc. in this film. Here in the forum we discussed about them. When I watched the AC, I was also disappointed a bit. But let's focus on the good things! What was good in this film?
Posted Jun-16-2017 11:12 PM
1) The prologue
2) Jed Kurzel's score
3) Engineer's flashback
4) Engineer's city
5) Danny Mcbride and Michael Fassbender's acting (my praise of Fassbender doesn't mean I want to see a movie about David though)
6) Spore contagion, backburster and neomorph as concepts (not the execution)
7) Exterior of the ship and lander minus the fake looking sails
All these are positive things; however, I don't think they are enough to make Covenant a good movie.
Posted Jun-17-2017 6:59 AM
•The Continuing David storyline
•Visual and special effects
•fantastic design work throughout
On its own, I thought it was all good. Well designed, well made, well written, well acted sci-fi horror movie.
As a continuation of the story begun in Prometheus, it fell short. I have no problem with Ridley and the script writers not wanting to dumb down and spoon feed every story detail to the viewer. It was easy to figure out everything in Prometheus as it was all in the movie for those who wanted to pay attention.
This was a less satisfying experience though. The first half of this movie came across as a rehash of the Alien movie, like they were dumbing it down for the AVP crowd. Well done, but we have seen all this before. The second half was great. I loved all the elements of David's story, and including Walter. I wanted to see and know more detail about what he was doing in his lab though. The second half seemed rushed.
I would rather have seen a movie that continued the Shaw storyline they built up at the end of the last movie. This one felt like we skipped a movie. I think the same evolution of David's story and his experiments with the Engineer pathogen could have been accomplished by including Shaw, up to her sad end.
Sorry, I guess that was more about what I would have liked to have seen rather than what was good.
Posted Jun-17-2017 7:09 AM
I loved the beginning. When the excellent score with the familiar music started playing and the A L I E N came up it gave me goosebumps. And then when they introduced the ship and the short facts about it, they used the classic MU/TH/UR typeface. If only for that, I love this movie, haha :)
Posted Jun-17-2017 7:31 AM
Well i am not sure what to say on this matter...
its a interesting Curve-ball Twist... with David being the Xenomorph creator.... but i think the Plot they was making really needed to be a Part 2 movie.
It needed a Prequel before Alien Covenant, but i understand FOX could not risk going that route incase Fans just was not interested and wanted Xenomorphs and Less Prometheus stuff and if they gave us a more Prometheus 2 sequel... and it never interested those who did not like Prometheus, then FOX would be in a situation of how do they make another Movie and Garuntee the Fanbase would come back and see it even though it had Aliens in it...
I felt this is why they did AC, and i thought they then would make a Prequel to AC but this seems to not be the case. So AC was trying to cover a lot of THINGS within a limited Span of Time.... it was trying to please Alien/Aliens fans.. trying to offer something new (Neomorph) and David Curve-ball while also by-passing Prometheus but having to cover a little of it.
But the way it was handled really did not do any of that justice.
The Best Parts... that was quite Solid....?
The Start of the Movie right to when David taken them to his Hide-out.... No soon as it went to after Rosenthal was killed... the rest of the Movie went down-hill Fast! Once that Neomorph was Killed... the movie just did not do any real justice with the Alien/Prometheus connections.
Few flaws with the Direction/Plot Dialog... but also from this moment they needed to contribute a extra 10-15 Minutes to interaction between David and Crew in that Cathedral with better answers to do Prometheus more justice and then they needed a extra 15 minutes dedicated to the Alien Xenomorph Scenes. Plus also give us the extended more Gorey Cert 18 Death Scenes.
The first part was very good... if this was a separate Movie... say they arrived on LV-223 many years after and this World had Evolved a bit like in the Fire and Stone Comics but no where near to this Level... and a Colony Ship landed and got infected with Spores etc... then it would have maybe been a Great addition to the Franchise.
R.I.P Sox 01/01/2006 - 11/10/2017
Posted Jun-19-2017 8:49 AM
1. Danny McBride: great acting all the way through.
2. Fassbender (BUT< PLEASE END DAVID 8's focus and show us how he did NOT "invent" the xx121 xeno and that he only tried to "recreate" the natural that killed off the Engineers on Lv223 at one time)
3. David's lab...eerie and creepy. Just a fantastic collection of Gigeresque art.
4. The death of Rosenthal: Thought that was fantastically done, and really the only "gotcha" death of the movie since we had been exposed to EVERY SINGLE OTHER death in the trailers leading up to the film.
5. The Xeno when it was BIPEDAL, IN THE DARK, and stalking the Covenant ship in the last act. It was truly creepy again, and was perfectly displayed when it was partially or completely in the dark.
6. Carmen Ejogo: GREAT acting and loved her every moment. Just hated she had to go so early.
7. The landscape where the Covenant lander came down (Jennings Sound, NZ)---beautiful.
8. The music---MUCH better than I expected. Great nods towards the original Goldsmith score in there combined with a lot of new sound cues....kept the movie moving.
Sign in to add a reply to this topic!