Trending Articles
New / Upcoming Alien Titles
Upcoming Alien Titles
Alien Movies
Alien Movies
Featured Content
Scified Network
Danny McBride says Alien: Covenant is a straight up horror movie!

Danny McBride says Alien: Covenant is a straight up horror movie!

Scified2016-07-28 18:59:53https://www.scified.com/articles/danny-mcbride-talks-alien-covenant-ive-never-been-in-a-movie-where-people-just-straight-up-die-like-that-6.jpg
Scified
8,148 Reads8 Upvotes30 CommentsAdd A Comment+ Upvote

While making press rounds for his new show Vice Principals which begins to air on HBO this month, Danny McBride was interviewed by Complex and of course, the topic of Alien: Covenant came up. While remaining reserved regarding the film's details, McBride did tease some pretty exciting (and horrifying) tid bits about what we can expect from this Prometheus sequel. Simple put - it's 110% a horror movie, one with lots of gore. Read on for his official quotes!

Complex: Aside from Vice Principals, you’re a pretty busy guy: you’re making your first leap into sci-fi/horror with a major role in Ridley Scott’s highly anticipatedAlien: Covenant. What can you tell us about it?

Danny mcBride: Man, that movie is gonna be nuts. Alien and Aliens were two of my favorite horror films growing up as a kid. I don’t think there’s anything that comes close to that franchise. I would’ve never thought in a million years I would be in one of those movies. When we wrapped Vice Principals, I came back to L.A. and got a call that Ridley Scott wanted to sit down for a meeting. I’m a humongous fan of his so I was blown away just at the idea of meeting him. So as we’re talking in the meeting and just kind of bullshitting, he starts pulling out these books and showing me these storyboard sketches. I finally realized, “Oh my God, this is for an Alien movie!” [Laughs.]

Complex: Wow.

Danny McBride: It was nuts. The idea that he trusted me to be a part of this thing is something that I’m still blown away by. I’m not allowed to talk a lot about what happens in it, but it is a straight horror movie. I’ve never been on something that intense before, with that level of visual effects and gore. I’ve also never been in a movie where people just straight up die like that. When I started the movie, the cast would go to these dinners and it was like twenty people. Then each week, the numbers dwindled and it became less and less people at the table.

The more we hear about Alien: Covenant, the more it sounds like Scott has indeed taken this franchise back to its 1979 Alien roots. With lots of blood, guts, gore, surprise deaths and undoubtedly tons of suspenseful moments, it sounds like Alien: Covenant will be the Alien prequel so many fans of the original have been craving.

A big thank you to theDisektor666 for sharing this news with us in the Alien: Covenant forums! You can read the full interview over at Complex!

Written by ChrisPublished on 2016-07-28 18:59:53

Related Alien: Covenant Articles
30 Fan responses to Danny McBride says Alien: Covenant is a straight up horror movie!

Patient Leech

Jul-28-2016 7:15 PM

I wonder why we're only hearing stuff from Danny McBride. Do these magazines think he's more likely to accidentally spill something juicy that he's not supposed to? As opposed to Noomi Rapace, or Fassbinder, or Waterston..

Aorta

Jul-28-2016 7:38 PM

Everyone else is actually dead.

Something Real

Jul-28-2016 7:50 PM

How fantastic! I am extremely excited for this film! I can not wait for more information! :)

Jul-28-2016 8:18 PM

Actually, Aorta brings up a good point haha, notice McBride mentions the cast getting smaller and smaller each week - yet he's still there! I guess that means McBride will be one of the ones who last the longest! Who would've thought.

cuponator3000

Jul-28-2016 9:03 PM

This is great to hear! Haha it would be funny in a way if McBride's characters is the one, or one of a couple, that make it out of Covenant. This seems to answer David007's question about whether this movie will be more gore or suspense though.

cuponator3000

Jul-28-2016 9:03 PM

Michelle Johnston

Jul-29-2016 12:03 AM

I much prefer Michael's analogy that C O V E N A N T is a blend of the best of A and P but I think after the elliptical way they promoted the connection to Alien for Prometheus they are going to ram home the point "THIS MOVIE IS AN ALIEN MOVIE".

In this hyper over stimulated world you have to use short hand to get peoples attention and everyone here wants this movie to be not only an artistic success but a commercial one so to keep on echoing the first movie and refer to its memorable messages makes perfect sense. But Michaels the best judge of whats going down he has done both movies.

theDiesektor666

Jul-29-2016 12:53 AM

Thank you for the mention Sci fied! Really appreciated!

Jul-29-2016 4:29 AM

Thanks for finding the news! Happy to give credit where it's due. :)

Diz

Jul-29-2016 4:43 AM

Good point MJ, I think after the criticism of being so vague and wispy, they're gonna peg the hit 'em over the head meter with this one.

MonsterZero

Jul-29-2016 5:56 AM

How could you do this Ridley!?! Covenant is a COLONY ship! They come in peace! they just want to settle down on Paradise and make little humans.

Michelle Johnston

Jul-29-2016 7:37 AM

@MZ Little House on the Paradise.

Jul-29-2016 8:55 AM

Well thats nice to hear, but i think they are also going to add some kind of elements similar to Prometheus too as Fassbender suggested.

McBrides Leaks do give us some information.... the other week he said the Ship was Carrying Couples.

We have 13 Official Cast Members who could be part of the Crew...  (Plus a David?) and i mentioned the other week we could see other cast members cast for smaller less important roles, such as the 4X Mercenaries and 4X Mechanics in Prometheus who for the most part did not play a big role and were just Canon Fodder.

And so when McBride mentions 20 people at the dining table, this gives us clues that there could be about 5-6 throw away Crew Members who are just Canon Fodder.

The way he says the diminish week by week, to me maybe hints at seeing a few people die and being picked off in a similar way to what we saw in Alien.

Michelle Johnston

Jul-29-2016 9:10 AM

@BD Good Point. I found the Fifield sweep rather to convenient and indeed wish he had waylaid them on the way to the Juggernaut in the tunnels with some heroic canon fodder protecting them as the party moves in on the Jockey Room. For some more of the grunts to die with the Prometheus suicide attack in a corporate death juxtaposed with the terror of a hidden Fifield would have been neater. You could have then revealed the A L I E N connection of a changed Fifield just before they hit the engineer making a neat connection of what the Black Goo could do if it arrived on earth.

Returning to Covenant if you going to generate some thoughtful exposition it would work well with an increasingly smaller group working out what the hell is going on.

David 7

Jul-29-2016 10:34 AM

Welp! That answers my question/discussion. As long as I go home after the viewing and not being able to sleep, then I know it will be a good movie.

Jul-29-2016 11:03 AM

Society in general have been so desensitized, it will take some truly innovative scare tactics to truly frighten most of us. I doubt the gore alone will do that, I'm expecting a scene similar to that of the ventilation scene in Alien - you know something's in there, it's closed quarters, you can't see behind you... Then out of nowhere - there it is and the camera cuts away leaving you to imagine what unspeakable horrors took place. That is what I'm hoping for / expecting.

David 7

Jul-29-2016 11:13 AM

I agree. I believe the use of Pyschological suspense and quick shots of the death will work. As u have stated, people are used to Eli Roth kind of gore these days but if you do it to where it attacks people everyday fears, like claustrophobia, and what not, it works as long as it is shot right and written well.

Something Real

Jul-29-2016 12:02 PM

Hopefully, the methods used to frighten the audience will be crafted through foreboding and foreshadowing. I adore films that leave a sense of dread with scenes that use only visuals, music and pacing. No dialogue is required to "torque-up" the fear; only the nuances and the knowledge that something terrible is about to occur! :)

Mizikame

Jul-29-2016 12:03 PM

Just happy to hear that A:C seems to be more & more on the side of what made ALIEN such a Cinemasterpiece; but Revitalized in ways for those whom grew up with the Original movie as well as the New Generation that haven't experienced what made ALIEN to be THE ONLY Movie of its kind ^_^

Facehuggers

Jul-29-2016 12:50 PM

Maybe Danny McBride plays Ripley's father!!! :)

Centauri

Jul-29-2016 1:12 PM

@Facehuggers!......interesting twist notion

MonsterZero

Jul-29-2016 4:42 PM

@ Chris Picard

Yes, I hope they use the catacombs/tombs for some tight narrow spelunking.

"Jones was pulled into the hole. His screams were muffled.....He'd gone in head first and was suffocating. Wedged tight, His legs protruded comically from the small hole.

Daniels shouted, "Grab his feet!"

They grabbed his trashing feet and pulled....

Sensing resistance....the creature attempted to bring him deeper.....They heard loud 'pops' and 'cracks'!"

Aorta

Jul-29-2016 4:50 PM

Facehuggers!-

If so, what a coup for Danny McBride! Ridley has amped his career big time. This is gonna be fun, I think.

David 7

Jul-29-2016 5:07 PM

I do believe that this will one of Scott's best films...

Zeidorade

Jul-29-2016 8:35 PM

I think this film is going to be awesome!!  I don't really care as much about tons of blood and gore.  Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem had tons of both and was complete garbage.  I think what will set apart this film is a great story and characters with a lot of mystery, and horror and terror that is sometimes unseen (i.e. Lambert's death scene in Alien).  As Alien: Isolation proved, the Alien series can terrify us again, it just has to be done well.  That's obviously way easier said than done, but I think Scott and Co. can pull it off.

Lone

Jul-30-2016 2:53 AM

PROMETHEUS is really a Lovecraftian 2001, Covenant will continue on that riff, but up the ante!

So yes, "Poor humans" ;)

Thoughts_Dreams

Jul-30-2016 5:13 AM

This sounds like really good news, I also like that there will be gore although I hope that they will not over-do it.

Patient L: Hasn’t Fassbender commented on some of the movie? You said something like why we just hear from McBride on this. Eventually Fassbender has commented on this but I can be mistaken. Look around and you might find some or I might be mistaken about this.

Chris P: Exactly, that is why I guess that it is difficult to make horror movies that work nowadays. This is why I think that gore works better because it creates disgust which I think will last longer because disgust seems to last longer because it is associated with some different things which I think is different from fear. Maybe I am mistaken here but then someone can tell me if they disagree because I am not very good at what is different between them.

Zeidorade: You probably are correct that gore alone won't do it but it can add to it I believe. What is unseen can be effective because then you can use your imagination (for example the Lambert death scene), hopefully they will use some of that in AC.

Add A Reply

New Alien: Covenant Forum Topics
Latest Alien Fandom Activity

Alien: Covenant is a sequel to 2012's Prometheus as well as a prequel to 1979's ALIEN. Alien fans looking to know more about Alien: Covenant should check back often. Alien-Covenant.com is an information resource for film enthusiasts looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Alien: Covenant. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Alien: Covenant, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Alien & Predator Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Alien and Prometheus looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Alien: Covenant, Prometheus and its associated names, logos and images are property of 20th Century Fox and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Alien: Covenant's release. If you have any questions about this site, its content or the Scified Network in general, feel free to contact Scified directly.

Scified is an entertainment media network covering the latest news on the most popular, upcoming science fiction movies, games and television. All content is property of Scified.com unless otherwise stated. Images and names of content we promote, discuss, review or report are property of their respective owners. Scified is independantly owned and operated by a team of dedicated sci-fi movie fans, who strive to provide the best information and community experience for other like-minded sci-fi movie enthusiasts.