Benjamin Rigby has boarded Ridley Scott's Alien: Covenant!

Benjamin Rigby has boarded Ridley Scott's Alien: Covenant!

Benjamin Rigby has boarded the Prometheus sequel, Alien: Covenant along with Michael Fassbender, Katherin Waterston, Danny McBride and others, Variety has confirmed. In addition to Rigby's casting announcement, the actor also recently conducted an interview with if.com.au where he discussed Covenant:

"I got an audition for this, and at the time I thought I'm not going to get this, it's bloody Ridley Scott. [But] It's usually the ones that you're not as invested in that you tend to get. I did that in October and I got a phone call in January, and I'd forgotten all about it".

"I've read the whole script, and it's great, I really like it. I have a great character".

"I'd say it's a sizable role. It's a good plot device. My favourite roles to play are plot devices" (laughs).

Given that 'Alien' is back in the title, will the new film be a continuation of 2012'sPrometheus or something different?

"Because there's an end result being the original Alien, it has to connect. People can expect similar things to happen, it is an Alien franchise [film]. It does translate. Obviously it's a completely different cast - Noomi isn't in it. I think it goes from the first to second one pretty fluidly".

Unfortunately, he confirms Noomi Rapace's Elizabeth Shaw will not be in Alien: Covenant, despite early theories that she may have been given a smaller part in the film, rather than neglected entirely.

As more news develops for Alien: Covenant, keep it locked to Scified! Thanks to Mr. C in the Alien: Covenant forums for the heads up!

Sources: Variety, IF.com.au

14 Fan responses to Benjamin Rigby has boarded Ridley Scott's Alien: Covenant!

Mar-16-2016 12:01 PM

"I've read the whole script,and its Great.I really Like it.I have a Great character!"

Sweeeet sweet sweeeet

cuponator3000

Mar-16-2016 12:48 PM

Damn, confirmed no Shaw...shit. Still, glad to hear him praise the script as well as his character! Hopefully it translates well to the screen

MonsterZero

Mar-16-2016 3:50 PM

No Noomi?! uughh. Would like her story told/finished...maybe the next movie? Did she want more money and they told her no?

Does Fassbender have a big role? Or is he just the link between Prometheus and Alien: Covenant? Covenant crew: "David, tell us your story before your battery runs out"

sp_jockey

Mar-16-2016 7:19 PM

Who is this guy? What other film roles has he had? Not a bad thing if he's a newbie. Alien was Sigourney's first film role, and it turned out she was the perfect choice.

and...

"Noomi isn't in it"  Sad sad sad..... There is injustice here...

Leto

Mar-17-2016 1:51 AM

Maybe Noomy just hidden. For big  surpraise?! This is frequent practice in the cinema.

I think, his character will die first ;)

Thoughts_Dreams

Mar-17-2016 8:53 AM

That is alright, Shaw wasn't a very interesting character anyways. It could have been alright to have her in a smaller role. Maybe I am in a minority on this board but I just found Shaw to be annoying. Can someone tell me what was so good about Shaw? I honestly wonder why some people like that character.

I am looking forward to see what happened to David, that was probably the best one in Prometheus. Janek (the captain) was also a good character although there might be some that disagree with me on this one.

MonsterZero

Mar-17-2016 11:17 AM

Not sure I care about any character in the Alien universe. They're really just fodder for the beast. Cpl. Hicks is probably the only one I might want to hang out with.....The rest?!  No. Can't see myself spending more than 5 minutes in the same room. Janek is cool...but he'd probably hit on my girlfriend.

sp_jockey

Mar-17-2016 7:04 PM

Thoughts_Dreams, to answer your question about what was good about the Shaw character:

Shaw was tenacious about finding answers to her questions despite overwhelming resistance and odds against her in the form of her mate being killed, being impregnated with an alien (which she removed herself), in constant agony from post c-section, being attacked by an engineer (whom she fought off) seeing her entire crew and her ship get destroyed. And despite all of that she pressed-on to continue searching for her answers with a headless semi evil android and an alien ship. Finding answers was more important than her fear and pain. Wow.  So if she dosn't kick ass, then who does? Ripley can't hold a candle to that. Also, as a personal point, I find Noomi Rapace to be an extraordinarily attractive woman, and has understated beauty that is all to rare in movies. So where is the "annoying" in that?

Thoughts_Dreams

Mar-18-2016 5:20 AM

Sp_Jockey: She was too childish and irrational. When someone asked about what proof she had to why the engineers made us she just said "that is what I choose to believe", to me that is a dumb answer even worse because she is supposed to be a scientist. To me she was too much into the religious aspect even though too much hinted against it. Ripley was a well made character, Shaw wasn't.

MonsterZero

Mar-18-2016 6:32 AM

Thoughts_Dreams: "Choose to believe" Was what her father said to her(dream sequence). This is how she was brought up ......maybe one day she will find a reason not to believe...but for now she is sticking with her fathers saying.

Thoughts_Dreams

Mar-18-2016 8:30 AM

MonsterZero: Then that wasn't explained enough other than in a flashback which at least I didn't remember that well (I remember it now when you mention it though). They should have explained that better and let her elaborate more why she believes the way she does but unfortunatly that wasn't made very well.

sp_jockey

Mar-18-2016 7:13 PM

Thoughts_Dreams:

Although Shaw has chosen her beliefs, she is asking questions about them and not only seeking but demanding answers. This differs greatly from many other who are satisfied by what they read in one book, and will not accept the overwhelming preponderance of evidence of the truth. Such as the Easth being older than 4000 years. Although Shaw was greatly influenced by her fathers Catholicism, and does not really want to let go of it, she is not hiding behind her faith in the search for the truth.

So what's childish and irrational about that?

Incidentally, my own way of thinking is much closer to David. I have a general distain for religion. I hope that Shaw could eventually drop that cross into a trash compactor.

Thoughts_Dreams

Mar-21-2016 8:40 AM

Sp_Jockey:

Yes Shaw is asking questions but that wasn’t enough. I don’t care if she says that it is what she chooses to believe because she should have some reasons for that because of material that she has seen and drawn her conclusions from. There have been scientists through out history that have been religious but I doubt that they have just answered it with that it is what they choose to believe. There is a need for reasoning behind your decisions and Shaw didn’t seem to think about it too much. She doesn’t think critically enough.

Another reason why I find her to be bad is when she says that there shouldn’t be any weapons on the mission. What if they will find a hostile life form? What then? Being that this is also a part of the Alien universe that decision makes it even worse.

Why did she think that the Engineer painting was an invitation? That was stupid. It could have been a warning or a trap.

She is a very annoying character. Her religious beliefes isn't the only reason why I dislike her. It would have been better if she wouldn't have been in the movie at all or if there would have been a better character than Shaw.

oduodu

Apr-10-2016 3:30 PM

The script is good.

So we have palpable
proof that the script is
up to standard.