Alien: Covenant 'Meet Walter' full viral video and website released!

Alien: Covenant 'Meet Walter' full viral video and website released!

As expected, 20th Century Fox have released the full viral video for their Meet Walter campaign, along with a viral website which allows you to "reserve your own Walter unit" by syncing up with Facebook. What this exactly means we're unsure, but the site also comes with an interactive menu, detailing some of Walter's core features.

The video itself contains small disclaimer text, insinuating that Walter "imprints" on whoever he interviews with and / or serves. This prompts a "no refunds" statement by Weyland-Yutani, as it seems each Walter unit is capable of developing an alternate personality based on who they "imprint" on and associate with.

Michael Fassbender once again portrays the latest in Weyland-Yutani robotic engineering and does a stellar job doing so. Check out the full video below and visit MeetWalter.com to check out the website!

The introduction gives us a strange "Legion" vibe, the way Walter says "We are Walter". During Prometheus' viral marketing, when David was introduced, and asked what his name was, David's response was very personal - simply "David". I wonder what this change of awareness means for the new Walter iteration? Let us know your thoughts below!

43 Fan responses to Alien: Covenant 'Meet Walter' full viral video and website released!

Mar-10-2017 7:28 AM

Everything about this video was expertly placed... Even the music selection and lyrics. I love this.

David 7

Mar-10-2017 7:29 AM

It would seem after the David incident, the company has tightened its grip on these newer androids.

MU/TH/UR

Mar-10-2017 7:31 AM

I wish they went more in depth with the creation process. I felt it was too simple...

Mar-10-2017 7:42 AM

I love it,can't wait for more.

Looks like Walter was the one in the backgound watching Billy Crudup's character getting facehugged.

I dont see the difference.

Lone

Mar-10-2017 7:42 AM

Must...watch...over...and...over...

Lone

Mar-10-2017 7:45 AM

Did you notice the setting with the panoramic view screen?

Maybe I was right after all about it being Walter not David in the first trailer?

Inquisitor Fifield

Mar-10-2017 7:49 AM

Those masques give me a weird bubonic plague era vibe, or something asian i'm not familiar with.

Patient Leech

Mar-10-2017 8:16 AM

Yeah, this is beautifully done. Fassbender is a beast. He's so good, so subtle.

I admit I was expecting a little more dialogue from him. Are there going to be a series of these?

Lone

Mar-10-2017 8:37 AM

My MacBook doesn't like the MeetWalter site, everything slows down and my drive starts making a loud noise and gets red hot!! :(

Anyone else getting glitches?

Aorta

Mar-10-2017 8:45 AM

Hi Lone!

Maybe Walter is 'imprinting' on your hard drive...

Chris10an

Mar-10-2017 8:52 AM

Fassbender is chiseled out of one solid piece of german rock.

Lone

Mar-10-2017 9:02 AM

Hahaha good one Noob, I did press the reserve button!!

Very weird though, everything returns to normal after I leave that site.

MuzzleNZ

Mar-10-2017 9:38 AM

I think the two most interesting pieces of info on that site are that Walter has Remote Biometric Feedback capability for 'automatic updates', as well as a Regenerative Shell. This hints to me as to what his agenda may be, and what David may use him for.....

@Lone - my wife behaves exactly the same when she watches Fassbender. Your MacBook isn't alone (assuming that's not a euphemism)!

WCarl88

Mar-10-2017 9:41 AM

WCarl88

Mar-10-2017 9:44 AM

WCarl88

Mar-10-2017 9:54 AM

@MuzzleNZ About the "Regenerative Shell"...

ASH: "...funny habit of shedding his cells and replacing them with polarized silicon..."

Hieros

Mar-10-2017 10:09 AM

Great site. However, in order to reserve ones own fictional Walter, one has to connect via Facebook. There is no other alternative to using Facebook. I wonder why they did not go with an SSO (single sign on) / allowing the user to register via channels other than facebook.

@Chris

After placing your order, one receives an email which reveals that Walter is expected to be delivered in late April. (see screen below)

It will be worth seeing what we get to do when our reserved Walters enter production.

MuzzleNZ

Mar-10-2017 10:12 AM

Yup!

Goddamn Tropics in here

Mar-10-2017 10:41 AM

@ muzzle - totally agree with your comments on Walters purpose and his probable use by David....

ctomb

Mar-10-2017 10:46 AM

Note that when he is asked his name he replies "We are Walter" which seems to imply that he is part of a network of Walters.

Zogar

Mar-10-2017 10:57 AM

Hi guys, haven't logged on for a long time. Love the site. Did anyone else notice the 8 that the circular lights form to the right in this part? Maybe a reflection of David's future influence.

Mar-10-2017 11:18 AM

Very good catch! ;)

And thank you Hieros, I did catch that! Preparing a bit of an analysis about this video right now, will be posting soon and I'll be sure to include that!

Mar-10-2017 11:20 AM

@Wcarl88, very nice connections there! ;)

MuzzleNZ

Mar-10-2017 11:20 AM

@GTIH - yep, these virals are like little breadcrumbs!

@Zogar - I thought that too. Interesting lamp design to create a 'deconstructed' 8, and that reflection won't be an accident.

The possible parallels are interesting too. Two similar but different creations (androids) by the same maker, with two similar but different creations (humanoids) by the same maker, on a planet, similar to Earth, likely terraformed by the same maker.

Don't feed me

Mar-10-2017 11:26 AM

The subtle inclusion of the number '8' is definitely a nod to the David 8 model, foreshadowing a link between the two.  My thoughts are that somehow David's character and Walter's ultimately serve the same purpose. Hence the statement, "We are Walter."

WCarl88

Mar-10-2017 11:36 AM

@Don't feed me

Hypersleep, David 8 could send out beacon to Covenant ship, communicate with Walter during the trip. David may imprint on Walter through communication.

Another possibility would be Covenant crew imprints on Walter, making him trusting. Walter trusts David. David updates Walter. Walter is now David. Covenant crew is none the wiser.

Or, in the pursuit of knowledge, Walter allows David to dissect him, which creates a mechanical xeno as opposed to an organic protomorph. Black goo may require external regenerative capacity to develop into an organism.

MuzzleNZ

Mar-10-2017 11:37 AM

Yes. I also think this draws a parallel with the 'hive mind' concept - another connection with the biomechanical organisms seen further along in the Alien timeline....

Don't feed me

Mar-10-2017 11:41 AM

@WCarl88, @MuzzleNZ

solid speculation... seems like every bit of info is a good tease.  my mind goes off on tangents with the possibilities

MuzzleNZ

Mar-10-2017 11:49 AM

@WCarl88 - Like your thinking! The features of the Walter model certainly lend themselves to several 'features' of the biomech xeno.

Building on your comments, what if Shaw is imprinted on Walter, then Walter is used to 'upgrade' the experiments, as we have been speculating? Seems like this could be leading to the 'Aliens' scenario.

MuzzleNZ

Mar-10-2017 11:51 AM

@Don't feed me - yeah, I'm sure some of my speculation is completely off base, but there's definitely enough in there to suggest connections are starting to be made!

Neomorph

Mar-10-2017 11:54 AM

I'm not sure how I feel about the creation part of the clip. It looked like a Daft Punk music video or the sequel to Tron Legacy.

When Walter started acting though I was sold yet again, as he manages to be convincing with minimum effort.

Lilly (Svanya)

Mar-10-2017 1:13 PM

I like how there is a disclaimer saying you will not receive an actual "Walter". LOL!

Neomorph

Mar-10-2017 1:17 PM

LMAO

Mar-10-2017 2:16 PM

Going to be busy over this weekend... i have noticed a lot of things and so will join the debates when i can..

I will leave this here though...

Looks like the Engineer Head Statues does it not?

Ati

Mar-10-2017 2:51 PM

And what else, Dave? Michelangelo's David's head in the background - next to Walter's shoulder. It connects to the plastinated Engineer/human body shown in the new Alien Covenant red band trailer.

brightgeist

Mar-10-2017 4:56 PM

did anyone else notice that there's a completely different view outside the window now than in the first trailer? in the trailer, it was the exact same mountain landscape as in the beginning of PROMETHEUS. what does this mean? are these simply two different rooms of the same building, looking out in different directions? or two different buildings? is it not a window at all, but a screen? or could the "building" actually be a ship?

salomonj

Mar-10-2017 6:20 PM

Hey does anyone know why Alien Covenant has a rotten tomato score? When you google "Alien Covenant Rotten Tomatoes" it said 95% earlier today with 211 votes. Now its 91% with 44 votes. Why is this? Glitch or are there reviews?

*NOTE when you actually click on RT AC it says "tomato score not availble"

Hieros

Mar-10-2017 10:19 PM

Thanks @Chris

The Meet Walter Featurette was directed by Ridley Scotts son Luke Scott, and a limited-edition poster debuted online and at SXSW (see below).

Here's the press release which reveals more details...

Lone

Mar-11-2017 4:30 AM

Yeah Dave it looks exactly like the Engineer head! So many clues and hints....

Do the other lights represent a supercoiled DNA strand helix?

Zogar

Mar-11-2017 6:54 AM

@Lone, they do look like DNA helix strands. Also with the statues and the 8, there are so many visual cues in this viral video. I can't wait to see how it all ties together.

RinaRhodon

Mar-11-2017 5:22 PM

"Learn from me, if not by my precepts, at least by my example, how dangerous is the acquirement of knowledge.."

The tone of his voice here reminds me of the Working Joes in Alien: Isolation

chli

Mar-12-2017 5:28 AM

Brightgeist: Looks like the same room (where Walter is birthed) or another room in the same Weyland Industries facility (maybe in orbit around Earth)? I suppose it's a screen where you can see different landscapes - and other things)?

Eli Ballach

Mar-13-2017 5:37 PM

Man, I don't like those dudes from WY.. that stuff on their faces looks like those things they put on your duty free liquor at the airport :/ otherwise, we cool..